3rd November 2017 - MRC Suspends Kevin Spacey; More Allegations Arise
UPDATED, 8:11 PM: Netflix just released a statement saying that Kevin Spacey, star and executive producer of House of Cards, will no longer be involved in the series if it is to continue on the Internet network. This comes less than a week after Star Trek: Discovery Anthony Rapp alleged sexual misconduct toward him by Spacey more than 30 years ago.
However, singing from a different choir book for the first time since the scandal began, HoC producer Media Rights Capital 30 minutes later send out its own statement about Spacey’s status on the series. Unlike Netflix’s quite definitive statement, MRC said the star and EP “has been suspended.”
Being that Spacey has been an integral part of the show since its conception, the suspension move by MRC clearly is part of the legal procedure of detangling him from House of Cards.
MEDIA RIGHTS CAPITAL:
“While we continue the ongoing investigation into the serious allegations concerning Kevin Spacey’s behavior on the set of HOUSE OF CARDS, he has been suspended, effective immediately. MRC, in partnership with Netflix, will continue to evaluate a creative path forward for the program during the hiatus.”
Kevin Spacey is facing new allegations of sexual misconduct, including one involving a 16-years-old boy.
According to BuzzFeed, Justin Dawes was a junior in high school in 1988 when he met Spacey, at the time 29-years-old, at the Long Wharf Theatre in New Haven, Connecticut, when the actor was performing in the play National Anthems.
Dawes claims Spacey had invited him and a male friend over to watch Chinatown — a film directed by Roman Polanski. When he and his friend arrived, Dawes told BuzzFeed News the actor gave him a cocktail and played pornography, instead.
“We all had a drink, and we were kind of like, ‘Oh, no one else is coming?’ And he’s like, ‘Oh, no one else decided to come,’ and he never mentioned that this porn was playing,” Dawes told the website.
A journalist who chose to remain anonymous also told BuzzFeed News that he allegedly experienced unwanted sexual advances from Spacey after interviewing him in London for a national magazine in the early 2000s.
“He just kept reaching between my legs, and you know, just grabbing my dick,” he told BuzzFeed. “I would move his hand away, and say something that I thought was pretending was funny or whatever at first. And then I was starting to get annoyed by it, and that was pretty clear.”
UPDATE: Netflix just released a statement saying that Kevin Spacey, star and executive producer of House Of Cards, will no longer be involved in the series. The streaming network also is pulling the plug on the Spacey-starring movie Gore, which had been in post-production. Here is the full statement:
Netflix will not be involved with any further production of House of Cards that includes Kevin Spacey. We will continue to work with MRC during this hiatus time to evaluate our path forward as it relates to the show?. ?We have also decided we will not be moving forward with the release of the film Gore, which was in post-production, starring and produced by Kevin Spacey.
3rd November 2017 - Eyes Post-Thanksgiving Production Return If Series Continues
Shut down earlier this week as allegations of sexual misconduct by Kevin Spacey went public, House of Cards’ future remains highly uncertain, we’ve heard.
While it is possible that the Beau Willimon created Netflix series could resume production on its sixth and now final season soon after Thanksgiving, nothing is written in stone. In fact, things are so in flux on the Media Rights Capital produced HoC that the indefinite suspension of production that started on October 31 may end up being permanent.
“We’ve really been told nothing, which leads a lot of us to think that it’s over,” a House of Cards insider told Deadline today of where things stand. House of Cards was filming the third episode of the not yet officially announced Season 6 when the plug was pulled on Halloween.
If Spacey is removed from House of Cards, it is possible that he may take legal action, we’ve learned.
3rd November 2017 - Likely to Write Out Kevin Spacey From Final Season
Production on season six was suspended a day later. Sources say that the shut-down will be for a two-week period — and possibly longer — to provide the writing staff time to rework the season and write Spacey's Frank Underwood out of the show. Writing out Spacey — who also serves as an exec producer on the drama — is one of the options being considered, with a total shut-down a lesser possibility.
"They shut it down to figure out how to write him out," one well-placed source tells The Hollywood Reporter of the behind the scenes drama that ushered Netflix into the lucrative scripted originals space. While Netflix announced that season six of House of Cards would be its last, sources stress that decision had been made during the summer — ahead of Spacey's allegations — that the upcoming episodes were always intended be the show's conclusion.
3rd November 2017 - Producers Consider Killing Off Kevin Spacey’s Frank Underwood
One scenario being discussed is to kill off Spacey’s character, the villainous Frank Underwood, and have the show’s sixth and final season concentrate on his equally manipulative wife Claire, played by Robin Wright, according to insiders.
However, the producers are also cognizant of the fact that 300 cast and crew members are employed by the series and would be put out of work if the sixth season does not move forward. The feeling is that they did nothing wrong and should not be penalized for Spacey’s behavior. The show has just started filming, so the sense is that Spacey’s character could be safely written out without too many logistical hurdles.
The producers are currently poring over Spacey’s contract to see if they can legally move forward without him or if they are obligated to put him in the remaining episodes. Production on “House of Cards” season six was suspended on Tuesday, two days after actor Anthony Rapp alleged in an interview with Buzzfeed that Spacey had sexually assaulted him when the “Star Trek: Discovery” and “Rent” star was 14 years old. On Thursday, Spacey was dropped as a client by CAA and his publicist, Staci Wolfe. On Friday, Scotland Yard opened an investigation into Spacey in response to an allegation that he sexually assaulted a male actor in London.
2nd November 2017 - Producer to Investigate New Kevin Spacey On-Set Harassment Claims
Netflix and House of Cards producer Media Rights Capital are responding to new allegations of sexual harassment made against Kevin Spacey.
In a CNN report Thursday, multiple employees of the Netflix series accused the star and exec producer of inappropriate behavior. One production assistant claimed that Spacey put his hands down the assistant's pants without consent with he was driving Spacey to the set. He then alleged that Spacey cornered him and touched him inappropriately.
Another crew member on the political drama said Spacey "would put his hands on me in weird ways," including massaging his shoulders and touching his stomach. Six other employees from the show talked with CNN about their experiences with Spacey.
The statement added: "We have consistently reinforced the importance of employees reporting any incident without fear of retaliation and we have investigated and taken appropriate actions following any complaints. For example, during our first year of production in 2012, someone on the crew shared a complaint about a specific remark and gesture made by Kevin Spacey. Immediate action was taken following our review of the situation and we are confident the issue was resolved promptly to the satisfaction of all involved. Mr. Spacey willingly participated in a training process and since that time MRC has not been made aware of any other complaints involving Mr. Spacey."
31st October 2017 - Production Suspended Indefinitely Following Kevin Spacey Assault Allegations
EXCLUSIVE: Filming on the upcoming sixth and final season of Netflix’s Washington D.C.-set drama House Of Cards has been suspended indefinitely. Cast and crew of the MRC-produced series were told of the decision this morning.
The Emmy-nominated House of Cards had been in production in Baltimore, Maryland on its sixth season. Executives from Netflix and MRC arrived in Baltimore yesterday “to meet with our cast and crew to ensure that they continue to feel safe and supported” following the allegations against Spacey who had not been scheduled to be on set yesterday.